Saturday 24 August 2013

#4 Qur'an Memorization

Often when we heard a nice, old song it would immediately brought us to the memory of the past - that era when the song been constantly played in the air. Never mind if it is a song you totally hate. For an instance, I never like Daniel Bedingfield's If You're not the One. To me, It is a weak song with pathetic lyrics. But this song was popular during my matriculation days circa 2002-2004. My room mate at that time would sang the song at the top of her lung everyday, all my taunts and efforts to shut her up failed miserably. Now, sometimes when this song comes out, i will instantly reminded of her, of the room, of the happy matriculation's life.

Now, is it possible to do the same with the Qur'an? When we memorize certain surah, could we bind it to certain visual or memory? I have none (the visuals)  in my head. The one that I only have is not even a Qur'anic aayah - it is the Iftitah. According to my mother, I memorized it by accident after days of listening to my mother teaching it to my elder brother. I was 4 or 5 years old. One day, I told my mother I could recite it too. The visuals in my head is of my father asking me to recite it while I was in sitting in his lap. After I was done, he would praised me proudly. Now everytime I recited Du'a Iftitah, the effect is, i feel loved, because I was loved, during the time I learnt it. Going through the meaning, I feel loved by the God who gave me blessings I could not count. But then, it will stopped until the Iftitah only. I dont have any memory recollection on how i memorized Fatihah. And the following short surahs we usually recited aftermath. I guess i have to unlearned myself and started from the very basic. Learn the Faatihah again and the Qur'an again.

Problem with us born Muslims - since we were taught everything , and been told everything, we thought we have already know everything about Islam. We stopped learning...


No comments:

Post a Comment